Thursday, October 15, 2009

Techniques for CREDE standards

I was looking at our textbook, 50 Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners today (at lunch) for anything I already use that I thought had been effective. I first noticed Chapter 2 where it gets into Visual Scaffolding. I immediately had to laugh. I remember last year when we were getting into angles (acute, obtuse, and right angles) how ridiculous we all looked in my class playing "simon says." Since academic language is something that the students sometimes don't have words for in their own native language this was a fun way to get some association without using Spanish words in my class. The kids loved it and it also goes along with the CREDE standards, especially number one: Teachers and Students working together and number two: developing literacy across the curriculum. Academic language is such an imperative part of getting these students to move from proximal development to independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment