Monday, June 17, 2013

Altitude, what a buzz kill...or is it?

So beer is kind of a big deal for me.  It's been in my life for quite some time now.  We're in a complicated relationship, but whenever we hang out it usually ends in fun and games and giggling. What more could you want from a friend?  Colorado happens to be beers favorite state as well.  TONS of microbreweries. TONS. I have to go back simply to partake in more of this aspect of Colorado.

So I knew ahead of time about beer in Colorado.  I also knew about awesome hiking in Colorado.  I ALSO knew about the altitude in Colorado.  I NEVER PUT IT ALL TOGETHER!  And I'm a math teacher for goodness sake!  ADD WOMAN ADD!


BEER

(YUMMMM)

+ HIKING/CLIMBING

(WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)


+HAULING MY CRAP

(UGH)

IN HIGH ALTITUDE=

(**GASP GASP**)

A 2 BEER QUEER!

(No offenses intended...it simply rhymes well!)

I thought I was in shape when I went out on this trip.  I really felt top form.  Turns out, I was in good EAST COAST shape. Nice low altitude with tons of oxygen.  But, in reality the West Coast/Western states kick our East coast butts any day of the week on top of a mountain or at Mile High Stadium.  I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it beats you down and humbles you and makes you look like a jerk in front of everyone.  But the bonus is: it's much cheaper to get drunk.  I found this out when I went to a microbrewery in Boulder, CO. I was literally halfway through my second beer and went to the bathroom all woozy and giggly.  I thought something was wrong with me! This Irish girl doesn't mess around when it comes to drinking. There's NO WAY this is happening to me!

Someone even told me (a guy with pretty solid stature and body mass), the first time he came up to the area, he went to a bar up in the mountains and had a beer and a shot and was black out drunk the rest of the night. Ok, Ok, this makes me feel WAY better.  I'm not the only one who can't handle their alcohol at altitude. Of course, he also said, when he'd go back home to his low altitude state, he could out drink everyone no problem because his body was used to altitude drinking.  Ahem, anyone want to test this when I get back?

No comments:

Post a Comment